Monday, December 10, 2007

Healing

1After these things there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
2Now there is in Jerusalem by the sheep gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew Bethesda, having five porticoes.
3In these lay a multitude of those who were sick, blind, lame, and withered, [waiting for the moving of the waters;
4for an angel of the Lord went down at certain seasons into the pool and stirred up the water; whoever then first, after the stirring up of the water, stepped in was made well from whatever disease with which he was afflicted.]
5A man was there who had been ill for thirty-eight years.
6When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he had already been a long time in that condition, He said to him, "Do you wish to get well?"
- John 5:1-6 NASB

Questions:
1. Since this man was there to receive healing, did he know he was already sick?
2. If someone comes to you sick, do you offer the hope of healing?
3. Is it up to you to apply the healing, or the job of the Physician?
4. Is there help for those who have trouble continuing their healing process? Or a continual reminder of how they aren't doing enough?

No right or wrong answers. Just some thought I had.

7 comments:

Craig said...

Answers:

1) Jesus knew everything so yes.

2) I believe in healing through prayer.

3) As stated before I believe in healing through prayer, which may be via a physician or divine intervention, but I don't have the power. I believe that was an apostolic gift.

4) It is all in God's will. He has a perfect plan. I am not for sensationalism if someone gets healed because it could possibly reoccur and cause disbelief in God.

Roland said...

I guess I should have elaborated more.
I wasn't just thinking of physical sickness. I was myself thinking more of spiritual sickness.
But thanks for the thoughts, Craig. It' good for me to see it that way also.

Pablo said...

Oooh, I have to disagree with Craig. Apparently Jesus didn't know everything:

"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."
Mark 13:32
Matthew 24:36

But I also believe in the power of prayer when it comes to healing. God can do as he wishes.

Roland said...

Pablo, are you being nitpicky?
That is so unlike you.

Craig said...

Touché Pablo.

However, I will not retract that statement, but redefine that while Jesus was fully God and fully man he restricted some of his omniscience. Nonetheless, that was a good catch.

Roland,

Can you be a little more specific on spiritually sick?

Wonder Woman said...

Sweet baby Jesus...

I repent.

:)

Roland said...

A physically sick person wants to get well and, if they go to a place of healing, already knows they are sick.
A spiritually sick person wants to get well and, if they go to a place of healing, already knows they are sick.
A physically sick person goes to a hospital or clinic.
Where would a spiritually sick person go?