Sunday, December 09, 2007

Churches

One of the ways you can tell a healthy church from an unhealthy one is the way they treat people who leave or want to leave. In a healthy group, almost everyone will recognize that theirs is not the only church, or the only true church, or even the only decent church, and the really healthy ones will realize that theirs is not even the best choice for many people. They recognize that you can come and visit or join and participate for as long as it makes sense for you and your family, and when you judge that you need to move on, they will bless you and wish you well and tell you how much they'll miss you (in the good kind of loving way, not in the cultic guilt-trip kind of way.)

Click above to learn more. I wish I could put into words what I've seen and been through that well.

3 comments:

Timm said...

Thanks for the Link Roland. That was a great read. We should point out, however, that's only "One of the ways." I know peole that went to some pretty bad churches that also had no problems letting them leave.

Craig said...

This is a good point. Churches should not compete since they share a common goal.

On the flip side, I have seen people leave a church for the wrong reasons. Or often times people wait too long either because of the pressure of the church or whatnot and the tension by the time they leave creates a nasty departure.

Leaving a church is never easy. I have a good friend who use to go to my church and switched because of a specific need. Of course I wanted him to stay because my wife and I enjoyed his and his wifes fellowship., but we were still supportive of their decision.

MikeT said...

I ask you... what sort of Christian is entirely convinced that those in another denomination are saved? A bad one! We have as much of a responsibility to send missionaries to the gathering next door as we do to exotic locales overseas...

I kid :)