Friday, June 16, 2006

Word for word

I was thinking about why I like some of the newer translations of scripture.
At the beginning of a copy of a New Living Translation it gives me my answer.
They were giving a thought for thought translation of God's message.

Now don't get me wrong.
Knowing the exact words that were used is helpful.
And I keep those Bibles around to study from.
Yet, when I want to read, just plain read,
I use the newer ones.

- The New Living translates from the original texts.
(word for word stuff again)
And puts it in a very readable format to boot.
- The Message claims to be a paraphrase.
But it doesn't negate the value of what it says.
- The King James doth speak in a very eloquent way.
Verily, it speaketh truth, notwithstanding
it rolleth not off thine tongue well.

Has anyone ever read this translation of what Jesus said:

"You have your heads in your Bibles constantly
because you think you'll find eternal life there.
But you miss the forest for the trees.
These Scriptures are all about me!
And here I am, standing right before you,
and you aren't willing to receive from me the life you say you want.

"I'm not interested in crowd approval.
And do you know why?
Because I know you and your crowds.
I know that love, especially God's love,
is not on your working agenda.
I came with the authority of my Father,
and you either dismiss me or avoid me.
If another came, acting self-important,
you would welcome him with open arms.
How do you expect to get anywhere with God
when you spend all your time jockeying
for position with each other,
ranking your rivals and ignoring God?"

A friend of mine got upset with me when I said that reading the Bible all the time is great, but is only the first step. You need to keep that thought foremost in your mind as you go through your life.
Be kind and loving.
That is what makes the difference.
It shows you remember what you've been taught.

No comments: