Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Spiritual Abuse


I made a post recently about leaving a church. You should know that I left this particular organization about a year ago. Shortly before leaving, my dad was paralyzed. Shortly after leaving, I lost my job.

We left because some friends of ours told us about a book dealing with "spiritual abuse." They couldn't find their copy of the book, but remembered quite a few things from it. What they shared helped us to run and not walk away from that place. (Thank you, Lord!)

We went to a small church plant that was filled with God's love and holiness. We had time to heal and rest. I thank God for these people.

At the end of January this year, this small church plant, disbanded. I could yell and rant about how much it sucks, except...

The pastor got a job at a church called the Church of the Open Door. This place is great. It is almost an hour away for us, but we will attend there for at least this season in our lives.

Oh yeah, did I mention that the senior pastor here co-wrote a book called, "The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse"?

Amazing how God does things. It hurts to read the book. Reading cases and patterns that so closely match what we went through is tough. But, strength does come. After all, isn't that what Jesus promises?

One more thing that is like frosting on the cake. The worship leader's name is Joel Hansen. I had no idea who he was/is until I was in their bookstore. He was in a band called 'PfR'. Talk about a neat thing.

Anyway, some of you who read this will be getting a copy of the book. I am not sure how to get it to one fellow I know who is overseas in a large sandy area, but God will make a way.

I thank God that he has used Johnson and VanVonderen in such a powerful way. It must have been hard for them to write the book. I pray that he continues to heal them and give them strength.

And to pastor Dave Johnson, who I have not met personally yet. Thank you. And may God continue to bless His ministry through you.

Finally, for all who prayed for us in looking for the place God wants us to be, "THANKS!"

No comments: