Friday, February 03, 2006

Judging others

'Don't speak evil against each other, my dear brothers and sisters. If you criticize each other and condemn each other, then you are criticizing and condemning God's law. But you are not a judge, who can decide whether the law is right or wrong. Your job is to obey it. God alone, who made the law, can rightly judge among us. He alone has the power to save or to destroy. So what right do you have to condemn your neighbor?" - NLT - James 4:11,12

In essence, God is in charge, not you. I need to remind myself of that as I go through my life. Otherwise, I tend to think I am in charge. That isn't my job.

As to obeying the law, what is the law?
Is it avoiding bad things? Yes
Is it doing good things? Yes
Is it loving others? Yes

Now, which of those gets to the heart of the matter? If I avoid bad things, am I okay? The parable of the good samaritan says different.
If I do good things, will that do it? Romans 3:10-12 says that isn't it either.

Doing good and avoiding bad are great, but only pieces to the puzzle we are putting together as we go through life.
Loving your neighbor does both of the other things. It is the whole puzzle put together, so to speak.

Pointing out error is okay. And sometimes needed. But in the end, why are you doing it? Do you want the erroneous one on God's side?

Only God loves truly.
Don't believe me?
Would you have done what Christ did?
Especially for your enemies?
If you are sure you would have, then bully for you.
For everyone else, study the cross.
He is waiting there for you.

No comments: